Len Dyer, former curator at the 2d Cavalry’s Reed Museum, provided the following information:
2d Cavalry Group (Mechanized) operated under the Sept 1943 Table of Organization T/O 2-25 for the 2d & 42d Cavalry Reconnaissance Battalions. There were 44 officers, 3 warrant officers & 949 enlisted per battalion. Within the battalions there were 7 companies often referred to as cavalry troops (but officially as companies): HQ Company, recon companies – A, B, C, & D, assault gun company – E, & light tank company – F.
Each battalion was set up as follows:
HQ Co. T/O 2-26 had 12-officers, 3-warrant officers & 127-enlisted.
(11) – jeeps, (9) – M-3 halftracks, (4) – M-8 greyhound armored cars, (14) – 2 1/2 ton trucks, (1) 4 ton wrecker, (1) M-32 tank recovery vehicle.
A, B, C & D Cos. T/O 2-27 had 5-officers & 140-enlisted.
(23) – jeeps, (12) – M-8 greyhound armored cars, (4) M-3 halftracks, (1) 2 1/2 ton trucks (per company).
E Co. T/O 2-28 had 5-officers & 111-enlisted.
(2) – jeeps, (8) – M-8 – 75mm howitzer motor carriages, (10) M-3 halftracks, (1) 2 1/2 ton truck (1) light tank recovery vehicle (per company).
F Co. T/O 17-17 had 5-officers & 92-enlisted.
(2) – jeeps, (17) M-5a1 Stuart light tanks, (1) M-3 halftrack, (1) 2 1/2 ton truck. This T/O changed in Nov 1944 (T/O ?) and the M-5a1s were replaced with (17) M-24 Chaffees [Editors note: these M-24 Chaffees issued to the 2d Cavalry Group were the first in Europe].
Each battalion also had:
(1) 81mm mortar
(36) 60mm mortars
(29) .50 cal mgs
(68) .30 cal mgs
(238) submachineguns, M1a1 Thompsons or M-3a1 greaseguns
(574) M-1 carbines
(120) M-1 Garands
(64) .45 cal M-1911a1
(37) M-9 bazookas
To view an extensive list of related field manuals click on this link OLD FIELD MANUALS. These manuals are in pdf format and may be viewed in their entirety with Adobe Reader. If you do not have Adobe Reader installed on your computer, you can download the latest version free from CNET. Free Adobe Reader.