FORT POLK — Brigadier General Michael D. Barbero, commanding general of the Joint Readiness Training Center and Fort Polk, hosted a monument dedication ceremony honoring the Troopers and the families of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment for their dedicated service and support as the Regiment ended its duty at Fort Polk……
The ceremony was held Feb. 24 at the 5ID Memorial Park located across from Fort Polk’ s Main Post Chapel.
A change of command ceremony followed the monument dedication. Maj. Gen. Virgil L. Packett II, Acting Commander of XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg, presided as the reviewing officer for the 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment’ s change of leadership.
Col. Bradley W. May, the 72nd Colonel of the Regiment, passed leadership to Col. Jon S. Lehr. Col. May commanded the Regiment since 18 June 03 and is going to the Pentagon to serve on the Joint Staff. .
The Regiment’ s Colors are being moved to Fort Lewis, Washington, where the 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment (Light) will re-designate to the 2d Cavalry Regiment Stryker Brigade Combat Team (SBCT) as part of Army transformation.
This is not the first time the Regiment has re-designated, or changed names. Originally constituted as the 2d Regiment of Dragoons in 1836, it was re-designated 2d U.S. Cavalry Regiment in 1861 when Congress changed all mounted regiments to “Cavalry”. The Regiment was re-designated 2d Cavalry Group (Mechanized) during World War II after the unit turned in their horses for M2 Combat Cars and M3 Scout Cars. Re-designated 2d Constabulary Regiment during the early post-war occupation of Germany, they were re-designated the 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment in 1948 where it served 47 years on the East German/Czech border during the Cold War. Finally, re-designated the 2d ACR (Light) upon returning home in 1992, it became the Corps Cavalry for the XVIII Airborne Corps in 1993. The reorganization to an infantry centric Stryker organization is yet another evolution of the 2d Dragoons as it prepares to enter its 170th year of continuous service to the Nation.
The ceremony officially ended the command relationship between 2d ACR and XVIII ABC and initiated the command relationship between 2 CR (SBCT) and I Corps at Fort Lewis.